CAC’s Energy Assistance Web Appointment Site  

Use this site to schedule your appointment
with a CAC energy representative

Frequently Asked Questions

How often can I get Energy Assistance?
The LIHEAP Program, available in all three counties, is available one time per year.

There is a second program for Puget Sound Energy customers (PSE-HELP). This program is also available one time per funding season.

The actual Energy Season starts in October and continues until funding has run out.

This is contingent on funding availability and meeting the eligibility requirements.

What do I bring for proof of heat source?
If you heat with gas or electric, bring in your bill from your utility company.

If you heat with propane or oil and it is delivered by a company, please bring in documentation with your account number from that vendor, such as a delivery slip or bill.

If you heat with pellets or firewood, please bring in a receipt for the purchase or a note stating what your primary heat source is with a signature, date, and valid phone number for the person signing. The person writing the note cannot live in your home.

What type of documentation do I need to bring with me to the interview?
Photo ID for the primary applicant
Proof of Social Security numbers for ALL household members INCLUDING children
Proof of ALL household income for ALL adults 18+
Proof of ALL monies received on behalf of minor children such as child support, TANF, SSI, etc.
Your heat bill and/or proof of your heat source (refer to FAQ #2)
Verification of your physical address
If you do not have a Social Security number, new policies dictate that if you are a non-citizen, you must bring Qualified Alien Documentation.

What are some of the different types of income you use in calculating my benefit?
GROSS wages and salaries
NET PROFIT from self-employment
Gross income from rental property
Cash allowances and stipends
Social Security and SSI
TANF or any other Federal or State support
Time loss for work related injuries
Child Support received in the household (conversely, if you PAY child support, it can be deducted)
Annuity, Pension, Retirement or Survivors benefits
Regular or Recurring support received (i.e. Alimony)
Military income including housing allowance
Certain scholarships and grants (You are REQUIRED to show all proof of Financial Aid if you are a student. Please bring in your Financial Aid Award Letter regardless of whether you use this money for living expenses or not)
COPES and similar payments for care giving
Estates, Trusts, Dividends, Interest, Royalties and Direct cash payments


How is my energy grant calculated?
Your grant is based on many factors: such as total household income (for the 3 previous months from the date of application), the total number of people in the home, housing type and 12 months previous heat usage. The current amount you owe is not used in the calculation of your grant.

How do I know which office to schedule my appointment in?
We serve three counties; Lewis, Mason & Thurston. You must make your appointment for the office in the county in which you live. If you have questions you may reach each individual office at:
Lewis County 360-736-1800
Mason County 360-426-9726
Thurston County 360-438-1100

Must I have an emergency to apply for Energy Assistance?
No. You do NOT need to be disconnected or have a disconnect notice to apply.

What do you consider to be an emergency?
Our definition of emergency is for you to be WITHOUT heat and/or lights.

I am not physically able to come into the CAC office for an appointment. How will I receive assistance?
If there are extraordinary circumstances such as a disability that prevents you from coming into the office you may request a Homebound Application.
Lewis County 360-736-1800
Mason County 360-426-9726
Thurston County 360-438-1100

*Expect the phone lines to be extremely busy at the beginning of the Energy Season

Can I use the online scheduler to make an appointment for any other CAC assistance program?
No, you must call your local CAC office that serves your county to make appointments for ALL other CAC services.

I have a family member who qualifies for assistance but is unable to sign the paperwork. Can I sign in their behalf?
If you are a household member and over the age of 18, you can apply if your name is listed on the PSE account. If not, then the paperwork can be sent with you for the the primary applicant to sign. If you are NOT a household member you would need to have a power of attorney and provide documentation of such.

What if I have energy questions that are not answered on this web site?
Call your local CAC office that serves your location. Please use the phone numbers listed in question #9.

If my heat source is gas/propane/oil/pellets/firewood can I also receive help with my electric?
If you heat your home with PSE Gas, please bring in your most recent bill.
If you heat with propane or oil and it is delivered by a company, please bring in a document with your account number from your vendor.
If you heat with propane and you fill up your tank yourself, please bring in current receipts showing the purchased propane.
If you heat with pellets or firewood, please bring in a note from a person not living in your home stating your primary heat source. A signature and valid phone number for this person is useful to verify your heat source.

You can possibly receive help with your electric as well. If your heat source is something other than electricity, ask your Client Service Specialist during your Energy appointment if there are any programs in your county to assist you with an electric benefit. Programs vary between counties.

Back to Introduction
200 OK


The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at [no address given] to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.